Promoting strength and fairness in
the financial services marketplace

  • Licensing Information
    • Exemptions
    • Lenders and Brokers
    • Loan Originators
    • Mortgage Originator Support Registration
    • Renewal Information
    • Reverse Mortgage Lenders
    • Servicers


Exemptions from Licensing

Effective July 31, 2009, the “North Carolina Secure and Fair Enforcement (S.A.F.E.) Mortgage Licensing Act” as codified in NCGS Chapter 53, Article 19B, and also referred to as the NC SAFE Act, requires that any entity engaged in the business of making or brokering residential mortgage loans secured by North Carolina real estate be licensed by the NC Commissioner of Banks (“NCCOB”), unless exempt.

The NC SAFE Act exempts individuals in certain situations, see frequently asked questions and answers here. Depository institutions,subsidiaries that are owned and controlled by a depository institution and regulated by a federal banking agency or institutions regulated by the Farm Credit Administration are required to file a claim of exemption in order to be exempt under the NC SAFE Act. Note that employees of exempt entities are also exempt from the NC SAFE Act's Mortgage Loan Originator licensure requirement and will be treated as exempt without filing individually to claim exempt status.

Notice of Exemption

The Office of Commissioner of Banks may take up to 30 days to process claims of exemption. If there are questions regarding your application, you may be requested to furnish additional information. The NCCOB will notify you regarding the acceptance or denial of the claim of exemption filed with our office.

Notification of Changes

Claimants are required to keep all information on file with the Commissioner current. If the information contained in an initial claim of exemption filing changes in any material respect, the Claimant must notify the Commissioner within 15 days of the effective date of such change.

Who To Contact

Contact Vivan Laney-Dobbin, NC Mortgage Licensing staff by phone at (919) 733-3252 or send your questions via e-mail to for additional assistance with filing a Claim of Exemption under the NC SAFE Act.